Request for Applications LA CaTS Meritorious Postdoctoral Scholars
Application packets must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, April 15, 2016.
OneMeritorious Postdoctoral Scholar will be chosen each year. Scholar applicants should hold an advanced degree, have had a minimum of 2 years post-doctoral training, be eligible for a K99, have the support of his or her mentoring committee and demonstrate an interest in clinical/translational research. Strong candidates are individuals who have the potential to become an independent faculty member. Learn more about current scholars and their projects.
The Scholar will receive salary and fringe support up to a maximum total grant contribution of up to $53,042 (direct costs only). The program also covers costs of tuition to pursue the Certificate in Clinical Research curriculum (10 Credits). The goal for these post-doctoral trainees is to submit a K99 career transition award application upon completion. The program also funds travel to present at the Translational Science (ACTS) meeting up to a maximum of $2,500 and at another scientific research conference of the Scholar s specialty up to a maximum of $1,500.
The selection process will be competitive. The LA CaTS Education Internal Advisory Committee (IAC) will evaluate and prioritize the candidates
Each application must include the following:
- Cover Page listing the title of research project, and name, title and institution of the nominee
- NIH Biosketch with personal statement of the candidate
- NIH Biosketch(s) of proposed mentor(s)
- Abstract of intended translational research (30 line limit)
- Research Proposal that follows the format of the K99 NIH Application: Specific Aims, Significance, Innovation and Research Approach (Note, however, that our limit is 3 pages, excluding references)
- Career Development Plan: Present a systematic plan that: (a) shows a logical progression from the candidate s prior research and training experiences to the training and research experiences proposed for the mentored phase of the award and subsequently to independent investigator status, and (b)justifies the need for further mentored career development to become an independent research investigator (1 page limit).
- Letters of support from the Candidate s Mentor(s) and Department Chair, assessing their academic potential. The Mentor(s) letter should affirm research resources available to the scholar. The Department Chair s letter should commit to 75% Career Development Protected Time
- Mentorship Agreement: Completed and signed by applicant and each mentor.
All documents should be compiled (in above order) into a single PDF file. The format of the application should conform to NIH SF424 guidelines, as closely as possible.
Save the file and use file name nominee last name_ nominee first name_nominee institution_meritorious (ex: Doe_John_MyUniversity_Meritorious). Be sure to only use standard characters in file names: A through Z, a through z, 0 through 9, and underscore (_). Do not use any special characters (example: , - , * , % , / , and # ) or spacing in the file name, and for word separation use underscore (example: My_Attached_File.pdf ) in naming the attachments.
Use an Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype, or Georgia typeface, a black font color, and a font size of 11 points or larger. (A Symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies.)
Paper Size and Page Margins
Use standard paper size (8 x 11). Use at least half inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) for all pages. No information should appear in the margins, including the PI s name and page numbers.
Since a number of reviewers will be reviewing applications as an electronic document and not a paper version, applicants are strongly encouraged to use only a standard, single-column format for the text. Avoid using a two column format since it can cause difficulties when reviewing the document electronically.
Application packets should be sent via email to Paula Gregory, Phillip Brantley, and Roy Weiner at CareerDevel@LACaTS.org. Applications need not be routed through the institutional research office.
April 28, 2016 - Nominees and mentors will be notified of final decision.
*If selected, nominee must be prepared to start classes on July 5, 2016.
Salary, tuition and fees will be supported July1, 2016 - June 30, 2017.
|Standard Date||Roadmap Scholarship||Meritorious Post-Doctoral Scholarship|
|RFA Announcement||February 1||March 10|
|Applications Due||April 1||April 15|
|Decision*||April 28||April 28|
*Decision dates subject to change